Mom

I recently saw an interview with a recent recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.  He was asked what he was thinking when he put himself in harm's way to save his fellow soldier.  He said (and I am paraphrasing here) that when you are in the military you are taught to not think about yourself.  Instead, you think about the people to the left of you and the right of you.  You do everything to protect them. That is what he did when a member of his unit was being taken by someone in the Taliban.  This brave soldier went after his friend, pulled him to safety while fending off the Taliban. As I watched this, I immediately thought of my mom.  My mom was never in the military, but she has certainly been through the hell.
I have been trying to write this for days, but I am finding it hard to come up with the words to truly express what my mom means to me.  How do you thank the person who stayed in a less than ideal marriage simply so she could have you?  How do you thank the person who got out of that same terrible situation because she wanted you and your sister to know a life full of love and peace?  How do you thank the person who has cared for your every wound, even the post-surgical, nasty looking ones? How do you thank the person who has been by your side, loving you unconditionally, even on your very worst days?  There are simply not enough words.
My mom is my best friend, my rock, my confidant, my strength and my champion.  Not everyone is lucky enough to say that.  Not everyone is lucky enough to know that in the eyes of their mom they are wonderful, smart and talented.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have a mom like mine. She is someone who can sit with me on my very worst day and still love me unconditionally.  She is someone who will laugh with me (and at me when I am being silly and ridiculous), love me when I am unlovable, and sit in silence and hug me when I am triggered, crying and shaking.
There will never be enough words to explain the beauty, wonder, grace and magic that is my mom. There will never be enough words to thank her for all of the amazing things she has been and continues to be to me.  There will never be enough words to ever fully explain what my mom means to me and how she has shaped my life.  So, since words are failing me on this day, Mother's Day 2015, I will simply say this:
Mom, everything I am and everything I ever will be is because of the amazing example you set for me and the woman you helped me become. Thank you for always being the person to the right and the left of me, protecting me and bringing me back to safety. My life is infinitely better because of you.  I love you more than words could ever allow me to say. I will always be your baby girl.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom.




Comments